Another Year On & Feeling Stuck-in-a-Rut?
Its January again- another year has passed, another year of the same job, same home and same relationship.
Has it really been a year already?
What has happened to the last year?
How am I still here and still doing the same thing?
It may well be a time of new beginnings and resolutions but it is also a time of dread and frustration of another year passing and yet the stagnation continues!
Being stuck in life is a regular challenge that comes up with women I coach. It’s a challenge many of us face and many of us have experienced that feeling of being stuck in treacle going nowhere fast.
We try to escape the stuckness–making ourselves extra busy to forget and not have time to make the head space to make changes, or burying our heads in the sand and hoping it’ll get better with a summer holiday booked to keep us going.
Everyone gets stuck at points in life, the key is to recognise if a situation isn’t working for you and then creating the space in your life to make steps into the new.
Here are some ways to shake off that stuck feeling;
- What areas in your life really feel dead in the water? – A tool I often start with in coaching is the wheel of life (can be downloaded on line)- it helps give you a chance to see the areas in your life that need focus then an action plan can be created- score each area out of 10, then ask yourself, ‘what would a 10 look like to you?’
- Ask yourself what is important to me right now? What is really important to me? What can I not do without in my life? And reflect on what comes up
- Take January as a chance to reflect on the year you’ve had and renew your spirit for the year ahead- see my ‘Is this it? blog click here
- If this was your last year of life what would you change and how would you live it? What would you let go of? And what would you cherish?
- You may well be in the same job and same situation and be happy – if you are then research shows by reflecting on what you are grateful for increases your sense of wellbeing.
The New Year gives us a chance to reflect and start a fresh for the year ahead but every day and every moment is a chance to change your life into the life you want it to be- why just make changes and review life in January?
By being present and conscious about the decisions we make in our lives everyday, we keep us on track and stops that sense of dread at another year passing.
Being actively conscious and in our lives means we know where we are and where we are going.
What areas in your life do you feel stagnant in? What changes can you make to make this year a year you fully own? I would love to hear your thoughts.
I coach women with these life challenges, if you know someone who would benefit from this blog please share it . If you’d like a conversation as to how we could work together click here